Monday, August 18, 2014

MACRO MONDAY WEEK THREE: Yuengling Black and Tan

Yuengling, yuengling, yuengling; you can do no wrong in my heart, I Swear baby. Now some of you out there in B-N-B land are crying foul, because I’ve already done a macro-monday on Yuengling -- to which I say, I don’t care. Who cares?
WhoCares.png
Anyways, the beer I’m reviewing (and I use that term loosely in the case of Macro-Monday) is Black & Tan. Black & Tan is a combination of delicious Porter mixed with “Premium Beer”, which I’m guessing is Yuengling Lager, which is good.


But wait, let’s pump the breaks for a second. Yuengling makes a Porter? Apparently so, even though I’ve never seen one in the wild Yuengling has been making Porter’s for many years. So long that they were often the only Porter game in town.


But I digress. You didn’t come here for a history lesson about Yuengling. Well maybe you did, in which case you came to the wrong blog, I apologize profusely. Maybe that’s a good idea for a future post, comment if you agree.

I digress again, lets move on to the matter at hand. Black and tan is a delicious little beverage. On the surface it’s got the typical Yuengling packaging. Poured from a nice longneck bottle into my favorite belgian tulip, Black and tan looks very...porterish for lack of a better term. It’s a nice midnight color with this thin beige head that dissipates to nothing. Fairly usual all thing considered.

The smell is equally predictable, it’s got this fairly hoppy smell, with a little bit of the porter-y goodness waiting in the wings. Yes I keep using Porter as an adjective, no I don’t care that it’s not really one.


The taste is what we all care about, no? And the black and tan actually holds up pretty well in this department. Just like the smell, it’s got all the hoppy goodness from what I can only assume is the premium beer, followed up by a mellow, if not serviceable porter flavor. Some nice roasted malts, maybe some coffee, and a hint of chocolate. It’s pretty refreshing

So the big question is, should I buy this? The answer, Yeah man-- you could do a lot worse then a Black and Tan. It’s dark enough to keep a veteran alcoholic happy, but also fairly drinkable from a lager perspective. It’s one of those rare beers that is both good to drink at a ballgame or have sitting down in your living room. So next time you’re grilling out, why not pick up a sixer? You could do a lot worse. Especially since finding Yuengling’s actual porter is like seeing a Unicorn romancing a Narwhal.

No comments:

Post a Comment