Wednesday, July 30, 2014

Hennepin Saison - Brewery Ommegang



Louis Hennepin: Priest, Explorer, Beer namesake. Father Louis Hennepin is perhaps most famous for being the first european to discover (and write about) Niagara Falls. So it seems only natural that a man of his intrepid character would grace a beer that is adventurous, complex, and exciting. Hennepin is a Saison from Brewery Ommegang, available in both 4-pack and Euro-Bomber (750ml). As i’ve mentioned before, Ommegang is my favorite brewery, but would Hennepin be able to hold up to the hype? I’m not even much of a Saison guy (My previous experience with one being the Panic Attack Saison from Holy Mackerel, a story for another beer), but I pressed on, dear readers.

Dusting off my new Tulip glass, I popped the top off a bottle of Hennepin. I Opted for the 4-pack so on the off chance it was terrible I didn’t have to drink it all at once. The packaging is very nice, with a purple tinted illustration of Father Hennepin on a Canoe going over a waterfall. The label spoke of “Ale brewed with Grains of paradise, coriander, ginger, sweet orange peel”, an enticing new world of tastes awaiting my pour.

And what a pour it was! Three beautiful fingers worth of luxurious thick off-white head, topping off a light, almost blonde color. The head hangs around for a bit, but when it dissipates it leaves some very beautiful lacing, clinging to the glass like ivy up a brick wall. I really wish I had a camera ready when it was in the glass, because it truly was a thing of beauty. My mouth waters just remembering it.

Shoving my nose into the glass, I took in the bouquet of smells that hennepin had to offer. Sweet, fruity notes. Amazing balance, with not a hint of alcohol to be had. Impressive for a 6.8 beer. Truly Hennepin is a delight to look at, smell, but what of the taste?

With the first sip, it was true love. Such sweetness, how is that possible from a Saison? and yet, it’s incredible balanced, with a nice astringent quality to it. The fizzyness lifting the drink right off the palate, leaving hints of apricots, lemon, and a whole lot of grape. Could this be the beer that unseats Three Philosophers as my favorite offering from Ommegang? possibly, further research is merited, certainly.

So should you give Hennepin a try? Of course! You’d be doing a grave disservice to the spirit of Father Hennepin himself if you didn’t. His intrepid spirit flows through this beer just like water flowing over Niagara falls. And the great thing about Hennepin is that it’s down for whatever. Be it a drink on the porch after a hard days work, or combined with a blackened steak, Hennepin is ready to stand on its own or enhance anything else. Truly it is a wonderful Saison.


  • Brewer: Brewery Ommegang 
  • Style: Farmhouse Saison 
  • 7.7 APV 
  • Price: $12.00 
  • Rating: 9.4 out of 10 

No comments:

Post a Comment